Tuesday, June 23, 2009

art: mine.






"he loves you, he loves you not" is the name of this piece. Hundreds of resin cast rings (rings signifying wedding rings or perhaps promise rings) with the statement "he loves you" or "he loves you not" set in each one. I guess I was trying to express my feelings towards relationships and how sometimes you can feel so vulnerable, not knowing 100% if your partner that you're with is fully committed with you or maybe you're feeling a little doubt about your partner and if he/she is the "one."

I made this piece back in 2002. I had just came back from living in London for 6 months for an internship. When I moved there temporarily, it was when my fiance (boyfriend at the time) and I had just started dating. We had known each other 3 years prior as friends and said the "I love you" a short while after our first date ... and so when faced with the idea of long distant relationships, we knew we could handle it. However, it was hard on both of us. I know that for me personally, I couldn't shake off those feelings of insecurities and doubt. At times, I wondered if he was being faithful and at other times, I wondered if I could fully trust him. In the end though, I had to trust him, and he had to do the same with me. 5 out of the 6 months were brutal ... 1 not because that was the month he decided to hop on a plane and visit me. 9 years later, we are still together.

*The model in the photos is a friend of mine. She had just gotten married, and thought it appropriate to ask her to be my model. I took the photos.