Thursday, June 18, 2009

trip: from dc to ica.





Twice a year, I travel to Lima, Peru to design and create my new collections. I work alongside such amazing artists to hand make all my designs in Lima. Since both my parents are from Peru and some of my family resides there, it seemed natural as my business grew to have my line produced there. A lot of my inspirations stems from my experiences in Peru ... the art, its culture, the people, and its way of life.

This September, I'll be traveling there to create samples for my new collection for 2010. Just purchased my tickets! I am especially excited to go this time, because my parents will be joining me for a portion of the trip. My father is a doctor, and he is a part of "doctors without borders," where he volunteers his services in Peru. In September, the organization is hosting a conference in Ica.

"Ica is an important agricultural region, where grapes, cotton, asparagus, olives and other produce is cultivated. It is known by Peruvians as the land of the sun, and although there are the 4 seasons, the warm dry climate makes it feels like summer year-round."

I've never been there, and when I heard that my parents were traveling there I couldn't resist to ask them if I could go with them as well. From the photos I saw online, the city and its surrounding areas look beautiful. I was even more excited to see that they offer sand boarding and dune buggying, which will definitely be at the top of my to do list when I am there. I am also looking forward to documenting my trip with photos and video.